Home Business ideas
Everyday, thousands of people look though bookstores, magazines and the Internet in search of profitable home business ideas. Their goal; to start and operate their own home based business and to ultimately become their own BOSS. It can be difficult and sometimes very frustrating to figure out exactly how to actually start a business.
There are many issues involved in starting a home business. Which are the profitable home business ideas? How do you get started? What are the advantages and disadvantages? What are the tax issues, zoning laws, building codes and community and governmental regulations? And of course is it for you?
In this guide you will realize whether or not a home business is for you. You will also learn about choosing and starting one and how to set yourself up. In addition we have also compiled a list of 10 profitable home business ideas. There you can see the start-up costs, guidelines, tips and potential income associated with each business.
Starting a home based business is very different than starting a local business. In a local business you would have fixed hours, employees, rent to pay, storefront and stock. The business must run as stated in your storefront hours. You can not be late and miss days without getting a replacement.
Profitable Home Business Idea
Depending on the business you choose, a home based business can also have some of the aforementioned requirements, but it can also come with the freedom of making your own hours, working the days you want and enjoying the closeness of your family. Although this sounds like a better scenario, it comes not without a price. It is not as easy as it sounds as you may also have to contend with noisy children, nagging wives or neighbors and friends asking for lifts because they believe that you “don’t have a real job”.
By following the tips in this guide, you can set yourself off on a road to wealth, prosperity and freedom by becoming your own boss. It will provide tips to lead you in the right direction. Search through the 10 home business ideas and surely you will find something to suit your liking. You will find full details and descriptions for each of them. There is something for everyone whether you are looking for full time or part time home business ideas.
Top 10 Home Business Ideas
1. Gift Baskets
Gift baskets are totally unique to give as gifts and are adored by many. They can be filled with any assortment of items to suit any occasion. Some popular choices are cheeses and crackers, wines, toys, clothes and baby things. Birthdays, house warming and showers are just a few events where people often give gift baskets. Many companies also give gift baskets to their employees at company parties and events.
There are many different opportunities in photography from weddings to children to animals, the possibities are endless. Here is a quick rundown: Newborn babies, at the hospital or when they come home; Weddings, Christenings or any other events; Sports photos, especially children’s’ sports; Pets, many people absolutely love their animals.
3. Resume Writing Service
A resume is the one thing that everyone in the work force has in common. A well written resume is an important asset in landing a job. It is an important first impression when applying for a job. Many people need resumes to promote their skills, abilities and experience, but do not know how to create a professional looking one. A resume can be edited or created from scratch as per the client’s requests.
Engraving is a service that is used for either identification purposes or decoration. Many people want their tools or gadgets engraved with their names and many more want their names engraved on items such as mirrors or vases. From auto shops to weddings, you will find the market for this business is wide.
Calligraphy is admired my many when it is seen on invitations, place cards and anywhere else that beautiful penmanship is appreciated. Calligraphy requires a skilled hand or a knack for elegance.
6. Web Designer
Web designers are often referred to as modern artists. A web designer creates and develops web sites. They may also manage or maintain the site if the client wishes so. Today, any business in the world should have a website, no matter how big or small. The demand for web designers is great, but so is the competition. Make sure to offer a unique service.
Candle making has become one of the most popular home based businesses today. Some people have home shops for people to visit, while others sell though shows, flea markets or malls.
8. Cookbooks & Recipes
People love food. Whether it is cake, meat pies or vegetables, people love to eat, especially if they are cooking it themselves. Everybody wants to show off with a great tasting recipe. Seeing someone’s face light up when tasting something delicious is always a pleasure. If you can come up with a few recipes, you can have a major selling product.
9. Tax Preparation
While most people hate filing their taxes, some people are profiting from it. Everyone has to do their taxes. Everyone! Most of your business will come in the first four months of each year, however many companies require year round service.
10. Home Cleaning
More than ever, women are working “out of home” jobs, therefore the need for home cleaning is increasing dramatically. Coupled with a fast paced society, it is no wonder that many people are turning to outside help in keeping their homes, apartments and offices clean.
Choosing the Right Business
When it comes to choosing the right business for you, there are a couple of factors you must look at.
- It is your business! Listen to the advice from anybody who freely gives it to you but remember that ultimately, it is your business, and not anyone else’s. You are the one who has to work at it and make it work. Many people may say, “do this or choose this business”, but bottom line is when you have to work at it day in and day out, you are the one who has to deal with it. Not anyone else. Politely listen to their comments, but make your own decisions.
- Do you want to have a home office and have people visiting you for example an accounting business, or would you prefer to go out to meet your clients like a home cleaning service. In the latter case you can completely operate from your kitchen table, since no one will ever see your office. Deciding whether or not you want a private office depends solely on your choice of business.
- Are you planning on working your business full time or part time? It is always recommended that you begin part time while keeping your current job. This way if the business does not work out for whatever reason, you will still have your job to fall back on.
- What is your goal for your home business? How much money do you expect it to make. Most businesses declare a loss the first year or two of business. It is usually after this time period that you actually start making profit. The important thing is to keep your head up high and be persistent. If your keep working hard at it, it will come.
Working from Home–Is it for You?
Everyone has at one time or another dreamt of owning their own business, of working for themselves. Many people wish they would not have a boss to answer to. Owning your own home business can be great, but it is not for everyone. The truth is that some people just do not have it in them to be able to run a successful business. They are not dedicated enough or just plain lazy. Some people are followers and can not lead. It takes certain types of people to own and operate a home business.
Here are some guidelines to help you to figure out if you have it in you to succeed as an entrepreneur.
- Believing in yourself is one of the most important ingredients in succeeding in anything in life. Believing in your heart that you can do anything is half the battle. If you do not believe in yourself, you will surely fail.
- Some people have a fear of starting anything, because they have a fear of failing. They are afraid of what people will say and think. Remember that even in failing, you will learn something. The trick is to learn from your mistakes and take a different approach.
- When starting something new, you will find that most of friends and family will try to turn you off of the idea. Some people believe that the only way to make a living is to work for someone else. Others, who have failed at their own attempts, will try to discourage you because of their
- Just because one person failed at something or does not believe in it does not mean that it is not a good idea.
- When you set your goals, always make sure that you see them through. All too often people set goals that they never accomplish, only to blame it on someone or something else. It is a shame to hear someone say they will quit smoking on a certain day and when that day comes they say they can’t do it because they are too stressed, or they will do it tomorrow or they say it is too hard. Always follow your goals to the end.
- Finally, the best way to succeed is to mirror someone who is already successful. You have to be open minded and willing to listen and learn from those who are already successful. The best way to succeed is the follow what they have done. Learn from the successful ones. Following the advice of those who have spent half their lives on unemployment insurance is not the wisest idea. To reach the top, you must learn from the top. Even if you do not know anyone successful, find some books or tapes written by successful people and learn from them.
Before You Start Home Based Business
Starting a home based business may be one of the greatest ventures you have ever embarked upon, however it may also be one of your worst nightmares if it is not done properly. Owning and operating a home business requires plenty of thought and planning. It is not a simple matter of quitting your current job and getting started. This may be possible if you are living with Mom and Dad and have no current bills to pay for. But as it is for many people, there are bills to pay, food to place on tables and rent or mortgages to cover. It is not like it can not be done otherwise, but a little planning and preparing will always make matters a little easier to work with.
Before you start your home business, there are two questions you should ask yourself.
Where will you work?
Where you work from will depend entirely on the type of business you have chosen. Say, for example, if running a cleaning service, then you will be going out to your customer’s locations to work. You can operate your business from the kitchen table since your customers will never see your office. If you run an accounting service, then you will absolutely need to have an office.
- Any room in your house can be easily turned into an office, but it is best to choose a room that can be cut off from the rest of the house. You will want the office to be somewhat soundproof since you do not want your clients to hear your children arguing. Also you want it to have its own entrance. Having this type of office not only looks more professional but also gives you the feeling that you are “going to work”.Another important factor is to have a separate phone line. Not only will this prevent your children from answering with a goofy “hello”, but it will also keep a teenager from tying up the line for hours at a time. A busy line can lead to lost clientele. One line is usually enough to run your phone, fax and Internet (high speed is recommend instead of dial up) if needed.
Will your business be full-time or part-time?
Unless you have a decent sized nest egg put away, starting full-time is not usually the recommended. Most home businesses start off part-time. Working part-time allows you to gain the experience needed and gives you extra time to take any necessary courses or classes you may need. In most cases, your business will dictate if and when you should turn to full-time.Working part-time while keeping your regular job also has another major benefit. Most companies offer health insurance to their employees. If you are not covered, just one medical emergency can send you and your business headed for the bankruptcy line.